Important information about getting to Swift Watch, including parking details.
Chapman Elementary School and Wallace Park are west of NW 25th Avenue between NW Pettygrove and NW Raleigh.
Free Swift Watch parking is available at Montgomery Park and SELCO Community Credit Union. Nearby, on-street parking is in very short supply, so please park at Montgomery and SELCO if at all possible.
- Montgomery Park is located six blocks from Chapman at 2701 NW Vaughn St. Note that from the Chapman area, NW Vaughn cannot be accessed from NW 27th, 28th or 29th Ave.
- SELCO Community Credit Union is located at NW 25th and Thurman. Note: The SELCO lot will be available each night any time after 6:00 p.m.
On Pettygrove Street, DO NOT DRIVE PAST 26th AND UP THE HILL - it is a dead end, making it difficult and dangerous for turn-around traffic. All parking spots are taken by very early in the evening.
The Portland Streetcar and bus line 15 travel within two blocks of Wallace Park. To plan your route, visit TriMet's Trip Planner and enter NW Pettygrove and NW 25th Ave in the “To:” field.
Ride your bike, but be thoughtful and courteous about where you leave it.
- Use the school bike racks.
- Group your bikes together and lock them out of the way of prime swift-watching seats.
- Ask permission before parking bikes on private property, and don’t be offended if permission is not given - you may be the 100th person to have asked.
- Do not block the street with bikes.
Plan to meet your friends somewhere nearby and then walk over. Vaux’s Swifts gather all over northwest Portland in the hour leading up to sunset. Even a half-mile away, just look up and you’ll see and hear hundreds of swifts making their way towards the school.