These are our press releases
Lawsuit launched to protect threatened marbled murrelets from clearcutting on liquidated Oregon State Forests
Jun 03, 2014
- Logging of parcels liquidated from Elliott State Forest will harm marbled murrelets, other wildlife, water and people
Audubon releases rehabilitated Bald Eagle May 25 at Kelley Point Park
May 21, 2014
- Female eagle was found injured on West Hayden Island in November 2013
Klamath Advocates Go To Court Over Wildlife Mismanagement
Apr 24, 2014
- Conservation Groups Ask Federal Court to Require US Fish and Wildlife Service to Obey the Law, Complete Long-Overdue Comprehensive Conservation Plan
Suit Filed Challenging Sale of Elliott State Forest Land
Apr 21, 2014
- Privatization of Public Forest Would Hurt Threatened Marbled Murrelets, Coho Salmon
Local author and biologist Marcy Cottrell Houle to speak at Audubon Society of Portland April 3
Mar 18, 2014
- Houle’s presentation will celebrate the reissue of her classic peregrine falcon text
Conservation Groups Serve Timber Firms Notice of Intent to Sue Over Elliott State Forest Privatization
Mar 13, 2014
- Disposal would sell off marbled murrelet habitat to highest bidder in violation of law
Settlement Protects Marbled Murrelet on Oregon State Forests, Cancels 28 Timber Sales
Feb 05, 2014
- Agreement Also Ensures Future Logging Won’t Harm Rare Seabird
Audubon Society of Portland Statement on West Hayden Island
Jan 08, 2014
- Today the Port of Portland announced that it is withdrawing its application to the City of Portland to annex West Hayden Island for Marine Industrial Development. Audubon Society of Portland commends the Port of Portland for this decision.
Free Portland Audubon talk reveals how to find and photograph local birds Dec. 10
Nov 20, 2013
- Scott Carpenter’s “Finding and Photographing Hidden Nature in Your Neighborhood” presentation is part of Audubon’s Nature Night series
Portland Audubon releases two rehabilitated peregrine falcons at Kelley Point Park Oct. 26
Oct 24, 2013
- Juvenile falcons were found sick with botulism poisoning in north Portland this September
Portland Audubon releases rehabilitated bald eagle Sept. 20 in Longview, Wash.
Sep 20, 2013
- Lead-testing machine funded by Oregon Zoo helped save poisoned raptor, vets say
Oct. 8 Portland Audubon talk explores the lives of iconic Forest Park owls
Sep 19, 2013
- John Deshler’s “Northern Pygmy-Owls of Forest Park” presentation is part of Audubon’s free Nature Night series
Logging industry loses latest attack on threatened seabird
Sep 05, 2013
- Marbled murrelets, unique coastal birds, and their old-growth forest habitat will remain protected
Portland Audubon veterinarians decide to delay bald eagle release scheduled for Aug. 24
Aug 23, 2013
- During final round of exams, vets discovered eagle was struggling to fly
Portland Audubon releases rehabilitated bald eagle Aug. 24 in Longview, Wash.
Aug 22, 2013
- Lead-testing machine funded by Oregon Zoo helped save poisoned raptor, vets say
Portland Audubon celebrates International Vulture Awareness Day Sept. 7
Aug 19, 2013
- Free, family-friendly activities will highlight one of nature’s amazing recyclers
Portland Audubon releases rehabilitated turkey vulture at Tualatin Wildlife Refuge June 29
Jun 28, 2013
- Vulture was found in Hillsboro with a gunshot wound this spring
Zoo grant helps Portland Audubon take the lead on lead
Jun 06, 2013
- Though banned from paint, gas and plumbing pipes, lead remains a threat to wildlife
Audubon takes in red-tailed hawk fledgling from Federal Courthouse nest
May 30, 2013
- Youngster was found on the ground after fledging prematurely
Audubon Society of Portland releases rehabilitated bald eagle March 27
Mar 26, 2013
- Young eagle had been poisoned by meat from euthanized horses
Groups file petition to revoke Steens transmission line approval
Mar 07, 2013
- The Oregon Natural Desert Association (ONDA) and the Audubon Society of Portland have filed a petition requesting U.S. Secretary of Interior, Ken Salazar, to revoke the December 2011 Record of Decision allowing industrial scale wind development on Steens Mountain. The crumbling financial and regulatory framework for a proposed industrial wind facility on Steens Mountain has spurred on conservationists to petition the Secretary of the Interior to withdraw its approval of the project they contest is ill-sited and illegal.
Just a few spots remain on Portland Audubon’s birding trip to Costa Rica
Feb 26, 2013
- Expert birder Dan van den Broek will lead a search for tropical birds April 13-26, 2013
Portland Audubon humanely euthanizes bald eagle found injured on I-84
Feb 21, 2013
- Eagle had been hit by a car, sustained injuries too severe to survive in wild or captivity
Feb. 12 Portland Audubon talk covers geologic changes wrought by Ice Age floods
Jan 18, 2013Portland, Ore.
- Scott Burns’ “Cataclysms on the Columbia: The Great Missoula Floods” presentation is part of Audubon’s free Nature Night series
Portland Audubon’s Wildlife Care Center opens its doors to public at Jan. 27 open house
Jan 16, 2013Portland, Ore.
- Free activities and behind-the-scenes tours of the wildlife rehab center run 12-4 p.m.
Court Halts Clearcutting in Murrelet Habitat on Oregon State Forests
Nov 27, 2012
- Conservation Groups Call on Gov. Kitzhaber for Balanced Forest Planning
Citing Marbled Murrelet Lawsuit, Oregon Suspends Clearcutting on 914 Acres of Old-growth Forests on the Elliott State Forest
Nov 14, 2012
- After a lawsuit by conservation groups, the state of Oregon has suspended logging on 914 acres of old-growth forest on the Elliott State Forest that is habitat for the threatened marbled murrelet.
Obama Administration Proposes to Strip Nearly 4 Million Acres of Protected Habitat From Threatened Seabird
Oct 24, 2012Portland, Ore.
- 21 Conservation Groups Call on Administration to Reverse Course, Save Pacific Northwest's Vanishing Marbled Murrelet
Audubon Society of Portland, the Humane Society of the United States, and the Humane Society Wildlife Land Trust post reward in illegal leg hold trap case
Oct 08, 2012Portland, Ore.
- Audubon Society of Portland, The Humane Society of the United States, and the Humane Society Wildlife Land Trust have posted a reward of up to $3,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for setting an illegal leg hold trap in Beaverton.
Leading scientists blast Steens Mountain wind proposal for devastating wildlife impacts
Oct 04, 2012Bend, Ore.
- Wind energy development threatens golden eagles and sage-grouse
35 Conservation Organizations Sound Alarm on Klamath Water
Sep 24, 2012Portland, Ore.
- Wildlife advocates urge Obama administration not to allow National Wildlife Refuges to go dry during critical fall migration
Portland Audubon talk highlights Oregon’s largest tidal marsh restoration project, Oct. 9
Sep 19, 2012Portland, Ore.
- Roy Lowe’s “Restoring Life to a Tidal Marsh” presentation is part of Audubon’s Nature Night series
Portland Audubon holds free talk about Pacific Northwest bats Sept. 11
Aug 21, 2012Portland, Ore.
- Part of Nature Night lecture series, presentation will feature bat expert Pat Ormsbee
Vultures Get a Bad Rap!
Aug 14, 2012Portland, Ore.
- Portlanders Invited to Learn About One of Nature’s Amazing Recyclers at International Vulture Awareness Day, Sept. 1
State of Oregon suspends 10 state forest timber sales in marbled murrelet habitat
Jul 02, 2012Portland, Ore.
- Simultaneously, conservation groups file injunction request to safeguard the threatened seabird during lawsuit
June 14 Forum Will Introduce Draft Guide for Bird-friendly Building Design to Architects, Planners and Bird Enthusiasts
Jun 05, 2012Portland, Ore.
- Audubon Society of Portland, City of Portland, and U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service collaborate with local architects to develop new resource guide
Lawsuit filed to protect threatened marbled murrelets from clearcutting in Oregon State forests
May 31, 2012Portland, Ore.
- Conservationists call on Governor John Kitzhaber to develop long-term, sustainable plan for the forests
Nadaka Nature Park and Garden Project gets a boost!
May 18, 2012Portland, Ore.
- Regional funding supports improved access to West Gresham nature park and community garden
Oregon Fish and Wildlife commission petitioned for stronger trapping regulations
Mar 08, 2012Portland, Ore.
- Audubon Society of Portland, The Humane Society of the United States, Predator Defense, the Oregon Chapter of the Sierra Club, and Cascadia Wildlands have filed a petition before the Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission to protect non-target wildlife species and family pets from cruel and indiscriminate traps and snares.
Lawsuit launched to protect threatened marbled murrelets from clearcutting in Oregon state forests
Jan 19, 2012Portland, Ore.
- State of Oregon’s plans to dramatically increase clearcutting harming wildlife, water and people
New Campaign to Protect Cats and Wildlife
Mar 25, 2008