Meet Our Education Birds
Meet our six educational birds: Julio, the Great Horned Owl, Ruby, the Turkey Vulture, Jack Sparrowhawk, the American Kestrel, Finnegan, the Peregrine Falcon, Hazel, the Northern Spotted Owl and Syd, the Red-tailed Hawk.
||Northern Spotted Owl
||Great Horned Owl
Portland Audubon's Wildlife Care Center provides a permanent home for several non-releasable native birds. Each of them came to us with an injury so severe that the birds would have been unable to survive in the wild. They now serve as ambassadors for their species and Portland Audubon in local classrooms and at events. The birds are listed above by species; click their species names to learn about each education bird and its physiology, appearance, behavior and more.
Sponsor a Wild Thing
Sponsoring one of these birds is a great way to learn more about the incredible creatures, while at the same time helping us meet their food, medical, and housing needs! In turn, these birds act as ambassadors for their species and for Portland Audubon, in classrooms and at events.
When you sponsor one of the Audubon Society of Portland's "Wild Things," you are providing care and treatment for our resident native birds and helping the sick, injured and orphaned native wild animals that are treated in our Wildlife Care Center. Become the proud sponsor of one or more of our seven non-releasable Wild Things!
Your support will help provide:
- Food - we provide a natural, species specific diet for each bird
- Health care - every bird gets an annual exam, routine diagnostic tests, vaccinations and any special care needed
- Bird-handler training - each bird handler goes through extensive training to learn about behavior, natural history and legal issues
- Housing - each bird has a safe, appropriate cage that is cleaned and inspected daily
- Accessories and equipment - each bird needs appropriate jesses, perches, handling gloves and traveling cases
With your tax deductible adoption, as a Wild Thing Sponsor you will receive:
- A beautiful color photo of your bird
- A collectible Wild Thing button featuring your bird
- A genuine Wild Thing Sponsor Certificate
- A personal history of your sponsored bird
- General information on the species
- Information about helping injured wildlife
- Recognition on our Wild Thing sponsor board in the Wildlife Care Center
Audubon Society of Portland
5151 NW Cornell Road
Portland, OR 97210