- May: Bird Poses
This month we’re focusing on Bird Poses. Working with photo references, as well as with Education Birds, we will practice getting parts, poses, and what to do when the bird moves.
- June: Summer Birds and their habitats
We’ll learn easy and fun ways to suggest water, trees, rocks and sky with your birds. We don’t have to be literal or exact to render a wonderful image!
Fee: $45 members / $65 non-members per session
Location: Portland Audubon Bat Roost, downstairs from the main lobby (5151 NW Cornell Road, Portland Oregon)
- Bring your own lunch, snacks, water bottle
Limited to 16 participants per session
All supplies may be found at Artist and Craftsman (two locations). Read carefully before you go to the store and contact Jude (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions. Bring this list for a student discount.
- Journal: A coilbound or sewn sketchbook with at least 90# paper that can take watercolor. Examples: Handbook, Strathmore* ( many people like this one, decent paper and black cover), Canson and others. Size: at least about 8 x 10, your choice. This will be your journal, so choose something that you like!
- Waterproof black pen. Examples: Uniball vision elite (light grey with black fisheye top, says waterproof) or the Faber-Castell Pitt, medium or fine
- Paints More Details
- Watercolor brush, round, size #10. Princeton makes a blend that is reasonable.
- Water containers: small yogurt size, 2-3
- Soft pencil, #4B Example: woodless pencil #4B
- Kneaded eraser
Meet the Instructor
Our instructor, Jude Siegel, is a naturalist, artist, and teacher with a passion for birds, and for journaling. She teaches Nature Journaling in the Portland area: in addition to classes for Portland Audubon, Jude teaches at Multnomah Art Center, for Sitka Center for Art and Ecology, and at her studio. She has written, A Pacific Northwest Nature Sketchbook (Timber Press 2006).