- This event has passed.
Light Pollution drowns out the stars that migrating birds are using to navigate and lures them into cities where they are at risk of colliding with windows. Across the US, nearly 1 billion birds die every year as a result of hitting a window. There are also serious human health concerns about exposure to artificial light at night, which disrupts our circadian rhythms.
Building owners, tenants in residential buildings, and residential households are encouraged to participate by turning off unnecessary lighting and then getting out somewhere to see the stars!
From dusk to dawn, building owners are asked to:
- Turn off rooftop lighting and exterior architectural lighting
- Turn off or dim lobby/atrium lighting
- Turn off interior lights wherever possible
- People in houses, apartments and condos are asked to:
- Turn off any unnecessary outdoor lighting
- Draw blinds or curtains in rooms where lights are in use
- Get outside to see the night sky!