- This event has passed.
No art experience needed. This is a monthly Saturday class with Jude Siegel. You may take one or more of the series! Each class is complete in itself with a focus and exercises.
A gentle guide to learning to record the birds in a visual nature journal, with drawing and watercolor. Beginners welcome! Lots of support and encouragement, as you gently learn to see differently, and to draw and paint joyfully. The process is emphasized, as is awareness and relaxation.
Fee: $55 members / $75 non-members per session
Location: Portland Audubon Bat Roost, downstairs from the main lobby (5151 NW Cornell Road, Portland Oregon)
- Bring your own lunch, snacks, water bottle
Limited to 16 participants per session
All supplies may be found at Artist and Craftsman (two locations). Read carefully before you go to the store and contact Jude (email@example.com) if you have any questions. Bring this list for a student discount.
- Journal: A coilbound or sewn sketchbook with at least 90# paper that can take watercolor. Examples: Handbook, Strathmore* ( many people like this one, decent paper and black cover), Canson and others. Size: at least about 8 x 10, your choice. This will be your journal, so choose something that you like!
- Waterproof black pen. Examples: Uniball vision elite (light grey with black fisheye top, says waterproof) or the Faber-Castell Pitt, medium or fine
- A small travel palette of watercolors, that hinges shut. I can make a small travel paintbox for you with 9 professional colors, for $50. Please order from me at least one week before class. Other options for paints: Bring what you have, or pick up a set of PRANG. They are inexpensive but usable, until you want something of higher quality. I do NOT recommend student grade watercolors, like Cotman, Koi etc…I say, either use Prang, or invest in professional quality. I can help you with this.
- Watercolor brush, round, size #9. Princeton makes a blend that is reasonable.
- Water containers: small yogurt size, 2-3
- Soft pencil, #4B Example: woodless pencil #4B
- Kneaded eraser
Meet the Instructor
Our instructor, Jude Siegel, is a naturalist, artist, and teacher with a passion for birds, and for journaling. She teaches Nature Journaling in the Portland area: in addition to classes for Portland Audubon, Jude teaches at Multnomah Art Center, for Sitka Center for Art and Ecology, and at her studio. She has written, A Pacific Northwest Nature Sketchbook (Timber Press 2006).