ARCHIVED: Hayden Island Cat Count
Hayden Island, North Portland | September
PLEASE NOTE: This project is currently not active – this is an archival page for those interested in reviewing previous community science projects.
Help cats and wildlife! Portland Audubon is conducting free-roaming cat surveys on Hayden Island to track the population trend of outdoor cats on the island. This survey is informing our ongoing effort to minimize the feral cat population on the island using a variety of humane methods including spay/neuter efforts, cat adoption, an education campaign utilizing Cat Safe at Home best practices, and other methods to limit the impact of cats on wildlife – all while ensuring cats are cared for.
Partners: Feral Cat Coalition of Oregon, Multnomah County Animal Services, Hayden Island Community
About the Survey
- Survey Instructions: Please read protocol for detailed instructions on how to conduct the survey (see protocol link below).
- When: Surveys are conducted on three Sunday evenings in September each year (between 4:30 and 8 p.m).
- Where: This survey is conducted on a portion of Hayden Island in north Portland (see map). Surveys are done by teams of at least 2 people.
- Time commitment: Commit to at least 1 Sunday survey.
- Reporting: Data is submitted via the Talea Cat Count App at the end of the survey.
- Training: A virtual training will be provided to review the sampling protocol and the Talea Cat Counting App.
- Birding skills: No experience required but you must have good attention to detail and be able to locate cats visually and by ear.
- Equipment: At least one person per team should bring a pair of binoculars (Audubon can provide binoculars if necessary). One person on each survey team must be willing to download the Talea Cat Count App on their smartphone (only compatible with Android phones).
- Field conditions: Must be able to walk up to 2 miles on level, paved surfaces.
- Transportation to and from the site is your responsibility (sometimes we can help arrange carpooling).
For questions contact Joe Liebezeit at firstname.lastname@example.org.