Be a part of the Portland Audubon flock and help build a region where people and wildlife flourish together! Portland Audubon is a volunteer-empowered organization, and volunteers are active in every level of the organization. Working hand-in-hand with our staff, our passionate volunteer base is essential to achieving our mission and helping to inspire people to love and protect the natural world.
Normally we offer a range of volunteer opportunities from single events to regular weekly commitments, all that fit a wide array of schedules and skill sets. During the COVID 19 pandemic we have limited and adjusted some of the opportunities. We continue to adjust as needed to ensure COVID 19 safe opportunities. Currently (as of Aug. 16, 2021) we have paused the volunteer program again and are not accepting new volunteers at this time.
These are currently on hold but, normally, these would be the volunteer opportunities available:
- Volunteers serve weekly shifts in our Wildlife Care Center and in our Nature Store. We ask volunteers in these roles to commit for at least a year, and volunteer weekly (Care Center) or bi-weekly (Nature Store).
Volunteers serve on a varied schedule as Sanctuary Tour Guides (paused due to COVID), supporting the Backyard Habitat Certification Program, helping as a Outings Leaders (paused due to COVID), Community Outreach, in our Sanctuary, etc.
Volunteers support our one time special events, like Wild Arts Festival, Plant or book Sales, Swift Watch, etc.
Volunteers support our drop in events, which are usually large work parties and may be open to the public. Check our “events” page to see if we have any drop in events scheduled.
Volunteers support our Community Science projects. To participate in Community Science (only) you do not need to attend a Volunteer Program Introduction; you can get involved by visiting here.
- Drop Ins: We do not have drop-in volunteer opportunities available.
- Eagle Scouts: Please contact our Volunteer Manager (email below) if you are looking to start at Eagle Scout project
- Corporate Work Parties: We welcome corporate partnerships/pro bono professional help.
- Court Ordered Volunteer Service: We work with volunteers who need to complete court mandated volunteer service. Contact our Volunteer Manager to see if we may be able to accommodate you.
Questions? Contact our Volunteer Manager Vicky Medley firstname.lastname@example.org
Youth Volunteers Welcome (although the youth volunteer program is currently on hold):
We welcome youth volunteers! Young people ages 10 to 15 must be accompanied by an adult volunteer. Young people 16 and up may volunteer on their own. For sanctuary work parties, volunteers should be at least 12 years old (and still accompanied by an adult until 16). For the Wildlife Care Center and the Nature Store, all volunteers must be at least 18 years old.