Be a part of the Portland Audubon flock and help build a region where people and wildlife flourish together! Portland Audubon is a volunteer powered organization, and volunteers account for 35% of our workforce and 48,000 hours of service every year. Working hand-in-hand with our staff, our passionate volunteer base is essential to achieving our mission and helping to inspire people to love and protect the natural world.
Normally we offer a range of volunteer opportunities from single events to regular weekly commitments, all that fit a wide array of schedules and skill sets. During the COVID 19 pandemic we have limited volunteer opportunities available to our current volunteers.
How to Become a Volunteer
We are not accepting new volunteers at this time. If you wish to be notified when we start bringing on more volunteers, please fill out the application form and we will contact you when opportunities become available. Complete a volunteer application here.
- Weekly Opportunities: We ask volunteers in these roles to make a year-long commitment and volunteer weekly or bi-weekly. Positions include Wildlife Care Center Assistant, Wildlife Care Center Solutions Counselor, Receptionists, Nature Store Clerk.
- Varied Schedule Opportunities: These roles require a moderate level of commitment but schedules may vary. Positions include Sanctuary Tour Guides, Backyard Habitat Certification Program Volunteers, Outings Leaders, Community Outreach, Sanctuary Volunteers.
- One-time Opportunities: These are one-time volunteer roles for special events or work parties. Events include Wild Arts Festival, Hawks & Hot Chocolate, Welcome Back Vulture Day, Swift Watch, and more. Check our events page or work parties in our sanctuary!
- Community Science: Many of our Community Science efforts remain active during COVID 19. Contribute to ongoing research and be a part of a Community Science project along the Oregon Coast, in the Portland-Metro Area, or in Eastern Oregon. You do not need to attend a Volunteer Program Introduction to get involved. Learn more here.
- Drop Ins: We do not have drop-in volunteer opportunities available.
- Eagle Scouts: Please contact our Volunteer Manager (email below) if you are looking to start at Eagle Scout project
- Corporate Work Parties: We welcome corporate partnerships/pro bono professional help.
- Court Ordered Volunteer Service: We work with volunteers who need to complete court mandated volunteer service. Contact our Volunteer Manager to see if we may be able to accommodate you.
Questions? Contact our Volunteer Manager Vicky Medley firstname.lastname@example.org
We do not charge any fees at the program introduction. If you go on to become an active volunteer, we will ask for $20 to cover the cost of a volunteer name badge and t shirt. If this presents a financial hardship and would prevent you from volunteering, please contact the Volunteer Manager to arrange for a partial scholarship. Portland Audubon covers the cost of a background check ($17) as well as a one-year membership ($25-$35 value) for all new volunteers.
Youth Volunteers Welcome!
We welcome youth volunteers! Young people ages 10 to 15 must be accompanied by an adult volunteer. Young people 16 and up may volunteer on their own. For sanctuary work parties, volunteers should be at least 12 years old (and still accompanied by an adult until 16). For the Wildlife Care Center and the Nature Store, all volunteers must be at least 18 years old.