Portland Audubon classes spark curiosity, foster a deeper understanding of the natural world, and inspire people to protect native wildlife and their habitat. Classes are open to people of all skill levels and abilities, with a focus on natural history, regional conservation issues, the intersection of art and the environment, and of course, birds and wildlife.
We offer experiences both in the online classroom and in the field, with classes on bird identification, birding by ear, butterflies and dragonflies, nature-inspired art, mushrooming, plants, and more. When you take a class with Portland Audubon, you are supporting our work to protect wildlife, wild places, and humans alike.
Stay up-to-date on upcoming classes, field trips, and ecotours:
Join Portland Audubon’s expert naturalists and educators from the comfort of your own home. From waterfowl, birding hotspots, bird identification, to owls and more, our selection of digital classes will prep you for taking your newly learned skills out into the field. All digital classes run from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. and recordings are sent out to registered participants after class.
Raptors in Flight with Brodie Cass Talbott
- October 4, 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Understanding Owls with Brodie Cass Talbott
- October 11, 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Owls of Portland with Brodie Cass Talbott
- October 18, 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Owls of Oregon with Brodie Cass Talbott
- October 25, 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Unlock the Mysteries of Owl Behavior with Erin Law
- October 27, 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Winter Gull Identification with John Rakestraw
- November 1, 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Birding By Ear: Winter Migrant Birds with Brodie Cass Talbott
- November 3, 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Getting Into Shape for Bird Identification with John Rakestraw
- November 16, 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Understanding Waterfowl with Brodie Cass Talbott
- November 29, 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Beginning Waterfowl Identification with Brodie Cass Talbott
- December 6, 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Advanced Waterfowl Identification with Brodie Cass Talbott
- December 13, 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
We offer a range of *in-person and online art classes and more. Learn how to create beautiful bird journals, make nature-inspired art, and more!
- October 13, 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. *online
- October 22, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. *in-person
- October 29, 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. *in person
- November 10, 6:00 a.m. – 7:30 p.m. *online
- November 12, 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. *in person
- November 19, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. *in-person
- December 10, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. *in-person
- December 14, 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. *online
- December 17, 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. *in person
- January 14, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. *in-person
There’s no better classroom than out in the field! Field classes are a great way to level up your birding skills, practice mushroom and plant identification and more. Expert teaching and camaraderie provided! Some field classes also have a digital class component.
Field Class: Winter Waterfowl of the Portland Area with Laura Whittemore
- Class dates: November 19 and December 17, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
The New School of Birding
The New School of Birding with Candace Larson and Dan van den Broek is designed to build both birding skills and a deeper understanding of the ecology and biology of the birds all around us. Each module of this exciting, interactive program includes six virtual class sessions and three field trips, focusing on a different feature of bird biology, plus tips, tricks, and practice with field identification, all provided in a small class format through a combination of lecture, online quizzes, helpful handouts, live interaction with your instructors, and extensive field time.
- Online classes: October 26, November 2, November 9, November 16, November 23 and November 30: 6:00 p.m. – 7:15 p.m.
- Field days: November 5, November 19 and December 3 from 7:00 am to 12:00 pm/4:00 pm (depending on destination)
- Online classes: Wednesdays: April 19, April 26, and May 3 from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Field days: April 22, April 26, May 6 from 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m./4:00 p.m. (depending on destination)
Waitlisted In-Person Classes
To be added to the waitlist, please click on the event and hit the register button to fill out the inquiry form. Once you have submitted your inquiry for the waitlist, you will only be contacted if a space becomes available. Thank you!