Join us for a free outing!
Portland Audubon offers free, volunteer-led outings across the Portland Metro Area year-round. We strive to create a vibrant space for everyone to enjoy the birds and wildlife of our area.
Most of our outings are bird walks. Beginners are always welcome and loaner binoculars and field guides available upon advance request. We do offer other types of walks and are looking to expand walk themes.
NEW in 2023! Standing Outings
Portland Audubon’s NEW, free Standing Outings are offered once every month using a lottery system based registration. Newbies and folks who have good past attendance on free programs (read: non-no shows or last-minute cancellations!) will be prioritized to attend.
When you click ‘Register’ an inquiry form will appear. This inquiry form serves as our waitlist. Completing this form adds you to our waitlist for this lottery-based outing program. We will contact you if you were selected for a spot.
How the Lottery Works
- New Outings will be posted every month on our website. Registration will close one week prior to the event
- Select the Outing date you can attend and complete the inquiry form for you. One sign-up per inquiry please.
- One to two weeks prior to the event, we will randomly select names from the registration list.
- Those who are selected for a spot will be emailed and asked to complete a short registration form. You do not need to confirm your attendance. We expect that by registering you are attending the Outing you sign up for.
- Those not randomly selected will be added to the waitlist and notified by email.
- Participants on the waitlist will be notified when a cancellation occurs. If you are not selected during the first round of the lottery system, we will keep your waitlist inquiry and notify you if a spot becomes available due to a cancellation.
Ready to register?
Portland Audubon Volunteer-led Outings on Meetup
Register for one of our free outings through Meetup.com. You will need to create a Meetup account to join the group.
Bring your binoculars and dress for the weather! Beginners always welcome! Click the button below to view the upcoming events schedule.
Ready to register?
Unless otherwise noted, participants will meet at the location of the outing. Leaders will post public transportation information whenever possible, and participants are encouraged to carpool.
If you would like to volunteer to lead outings or have other questions, please contact our Public Programs & Partnerships Specialist, Camelia Zollars, at 971-222-6107 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bird Song Walks April through May
Each spring, Portland Audubon provides free Bird Song Walks every weekday in April and May led by local experts.
Join other birders, from young to old, beginner to expert, on these fun, guided walks through Portland’s best songbird habitat. Each location will have a weekly repeating walk so that participants can develop their birding by ear progressively with the arrival of new birds.