Youth Summer Activities: Online Programs & Youth and Family Sanctuary Tours
Join Tim Donner, Abby VanLeuven, and Portland Audubon’s stellar education team for morning adventures with nature and science! These small classes of fifteen or less engage children ages 6-11 together with cool experiments, weird nature facts, and hands-on activities that kids can do with nothing more than some basic art supplies, paper, markers, and their powers of observation.
These programs are best designed for kids in the grades listed below, but siblings are welcome to join the fun! Grown-ups are welcome to participate as much or as little as they would like, but we recommend being nearby in case your child needs some help during the arts & crafts part of the program.
Each program involves:
- Live virtual class sessions with one of Portland Audubon’s educators and small groups of children (fifteen or less).
- Each live program will be held from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. If your child can’t make it at that time, or a different time of day works for your family, we can send a recorded link post-class for your child to participate at a time that works best for your family.
- Easy to do, hands-on activities for kids using paper, markers, and a window!
- Additional scavenger hunts and resources for families to extend the adventure together outside.
- A link to the virtual class will be emailed to you one to two days before the class begins. Please be on the lookout and have Zoom downloaded on your device.
- When you sign-up for any of our Youth Summer Programs, you’ll receive a special discount code to use at our Nature Store through August 28, 2020 (single-use only).
- If your child misses or can’t make a program, we are happy to send a link to the recording that will last until the end of the month.
Upcoming Youth Online Summer Programs
4th of July Sale Price (valid until July 10, 2020)
$14.95 per session or $49.95 for all four sessions
was $17.95 per session or $59.95 for all four sessions
Stories of the Earth
Join us every Tuesday morning in July for story time! Each week, Abby will read a new nature-themed book, and will then have kids engage in cool interactive activities that relate to the book’s theme, expanding on our knowledge of different topics.
Join Our Virtual Summer Reading Circle!
July 14, Ruby’s Birds by Mya Thompson
July 21, My Nature Exploration by Vicente Harrison
July 28, Owl Moon by Jane Yolen
10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Target age: 1st-3rd grade
Your backyard is teeming with life! Over the course of four sessions we will explore our yards, learn how to ID native plants, look for animals crawling around and search for backyard birds and ones flying up in the sky. Join Tim Donner every Wednesday morning in July to discover all of the nature surrounding you!
Get to know the birds right outside of your window! We will send you a Basic Feeder Kit or Deluxe Feeder Kit, available from the Nature Store, so you can study the birds that will stop by for a snack (purchase kit after registration with special discount code). During weekly check-ins we will share our findings with each other as we learn more about our feathered friends. Join Tim Donner every Thursday morning in July to discover, identify, and learn to appreciate birds near you!
July 9, Setting up Feeders and Learning about Birds
July 16, Feeder Birds and Their Adaptations
July 23, Unique Feeder Birds, Suet, & Hummingbird Feeders
July 30, Making a Yard Oasis for Birds
10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Target age: 3rd-6th grade
In-person Youth and Family Sanctuary Tours
Morning Explorers (Drop-off Kids Programming at Portland Audubon’s Nature Sanctuary)
Every Tuesday and Wednesday in August, Portland Audubon is offering special, guided activities at our Nature Sanctuary for kids age 2nd-5th. See wildlife, engage in hands-on activities and explore everything that the forest has to offer. If you like walking through the woods and getting your hands dirty, we hope to see you there!
*This all outdoor program is limited to a maximum of six children, and will follow all social distancing and safety protocols dictated by the Oregon Health Administration.
Family Tours at the Sanctuary
Join us on most Fridays in August for a guided, kid-friendly hike with the whole family. Each tour will be 2 hours and will be led by one of our experienced educators. Learn about the critters that walk through the forest, how to decipher bird language and how our care center cares for 3000+ animals each year! All ages.
*This all outdoor program is limited to a maximum of ten children and adults, and will follow all social distancing and safety protocols dictated by the Oregon Health Administration.
August 7, 14, 28
10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
$19.95 members/$24.95 non-members, includes one adult and one child
Each additional child $9.95 members/$11.95 non-members
Each additional adult $4.95 members/$6.95 non-members