Take the Pledge to Go Lights Out
Lights Out programs help reduce the impacts of light pollution on birds, mammals, fish, amphibians, reptiles, plants, and humans. They also save energy and money, reduce our carbon emissions, safeguard our own human health, and preserve our view of the night sky!
By Taking the Pledge to go Lights Out, you can help make our region safer and healthier for wildlife and humans alike, and helps raise awareness about the growing impact that light pollution has on the world around us.
Once you enroll, take steps to follow best practices at home:
- Turn off your outdoor lights when you’re not using them.
- Ensure that your outside lights aim down and are well-shielded.
- Install motion sensors on your outside lights so that they’re only on when needed.
- Choose warm bulbs (3,000 Kelvins or under) when converting outdoor lights to LED.
- During migration seasons, draw your blinds or curtains to reduce light spill.
- If the streetlight in front of your house shines light into your house, request a shield from the Portland Bureau of Transportation.
- Email regional decision makers to let them know that you are enrolled in the Take the Pledge program, and that you support Portland Audubon’s LightsOut campaign!
- Sign up for our LightsOut email list.