The Wildlife Care Center does not accept animals left at our facility outside of normal operational hours (9 a.m. – 5 p.m.).
In addition to subjecting animals to a long wait outdoors, dropping animals off after hours prevents us from gathering the depth of information we need to maintain our permits and determine the best course of treatment for our patients.
If you have an after hours animal emergency please call Dove Lewis Animal Hospital at (503) 228-7281. Otherwise follow the instructions below.
If you have an animal in need and we are closed, please:
- Contain the animal in a secure, ventilated box with an old towel or t-shirt lining the bottom.
- Do not handle the animal any more than necessary to contain it – this is for your protection as well as for the animal’s well being. Wild animals are terrified of humans. They may fight back, try to flee, or freeze. Many people mistake the “freeze” behavior for tolerance or enjoyment of contact, when in reality it is a fear response. Limiting contact will reduce stress on the animal.
- Keep the animal in a warm, dark, and quiet space. Keep them away from children and pets.
- Many animals benefit from a heating pad set on low under half their enclosure, or a sock filled with dry rice and microwaved for 2-3 minutes.
- Do not feed the animal. Most animals eat specialized foods, and feeding can be dangerous to the animal’s health. For example, did you know feeding a starving animal can kill the animal if it is not done properly?
- Be cautious when choosing to leave water. Many wild animals do not drink standing water, and attempting to help them drink can result in pneumonia. In addition, if an animal spills its water and gets wet, it could get cold and may die. If in doubt, it is better not to leave water.
- Bring the animal to the Wildlife Care Center as soon as you can. If you can’t bring it to the center during our open hours, or you believe the animal is in critical condition and needs immediate attention after hours, the Wildlife Care Center has a partnership with the 24 hour Emergency Veterinary Hospital Dove Lewis. To get in touch with them, call (503) 228-7281.